Over the years, several nutrients have been shown to support our mental state. So it’s little surprise that a recent study has found a comprehensive multivitamin
to benefit mood. These findings suggest that a daily multivitamin may help to reduce anxiety, depression and stress.
Multivitamin study details
The study included 50 healthy men ageing from 50 to 69 years old, who were split into two groups. The men in the first group were given a daily multivitamin tablet for a period of 8 weeks. Those in the second group were given a placebo.
The multivitamin tablets used during the trial contained a broad range of nutrients, including vitamin B, vitamin E, Co Enzyme Q10, choline, Inositol, amino acids, and additional herbal extracts.
At the beginning and end of the 8 week trial period, participants answered questionnaires to test their anxiety levels, depression, and stress levels.
Vitamins for mood
The findings were published in Human Psychopharmacology:
- The multivitamin groups had significantly improved scores for anxiety, depression and stress levels, when compared to the placebo group.
- Men in the multivitamin group were also better able to carry out regular daily activities, when compared to the placebo group.
- Men supplementing with the multivitamin also reported increased alertness, whereas those in the placebo group did not.
Study co-author Dr. Andrew Pipingas at the Swinburn University in Melbourne, Australia, also noted that “The men who supplemented with the multivitamin reported fewer negative mood symptoms and fewer problems with day-to-day functioning.”
How to boost your mood
If you suffer from low mood then it is also worth considering certain lifestyle and diet changes.
Regular exercise can help to release feel-good endorphins and reduce stress levels.
- Eat a balanced diet and try to avoid sugary foods as much as possible.
- Try relaxation techniques, such as meditation or yoga, to help reduce stress levels.
Harris, E., Kirk, J., Rowsell, R., Vitetta, L., Sali, A., Scholey, A. B. and Pipingas, A. (2011) ‘The effect of multivitamin supplementation on mood and stress in healthy older men.’ Human Psychopharmacology. Clin. Exp., 26: 560–567. doi: 10.1002/hup.1245