By Simply Supplements
When was the last time you thought about the health of your brain?
The human brain is a muscle, and so it needs to be used and exercised on a regular basis in order to work at its best. When muscles aren’t used they become weak, and the same can be said for the brain. If you have noticed your memory or concentration levels becoming sluggish, it may be that your brain is not getting enough stimulation. We can all benefit from improving our brain power and boosting our memory at any stage during our lives and there are many things that can help, such as brain teasers, mind supplements and nutrition.
The brain is the most complex organ in the body, which uses neurotransmitters to send signals to tell your body what to do, how to feel and what to think. Stimulating the brain can also help to build new brain cells and ensure our brains are in the best possible health. As we age the connections between brain cells becomes weaker and this can lead to age-related conditions such as dementia.
There are currently over 800,000 people in the UK diagnosed with dementia, but the actual figure for those suffering with the condition may be much higher. It has been estimated that as many as 43% of sufferers are not officially diagnosed. It is estimated that by 2021 there will be over a million people suffering with dementia.
Here are a few tips to help protect and improve your brain power:
1) Puzzles & Brain Teasers
- The use of crosswords, puzzles and computer programmes can all help to improve brain function, coordination and agility. They help to keep the brain stimulated through the need to reason, analyse, sequence, problem solve, and develop logical thought processes.
- The key to using puzzles and mind teasers to keep the brain sharp is variety. You need to use a selection of different mind games to work different areas of the brain. Various cognitive training exercises can be found in many newspapers, magazines and online.
2) Regular Exercise
- The health of the body is closely linked with aerobic activity. This is because exercise boosts the circulation of oxygen around the body. The prime organs that benefit from increased circulation are the brain, the heart and the kidneys.
- Turn off the TV and exercise the body and mind for at least an hour each day. It is important to change your exercise routine on a regular basis to encourage your brain to learn new skills, muscle functions and practice balance. This will help to improve brain function.
3) Keep Hydrated
- The brain is comprised of around 80% water so keeping the body regularly hydated is essential for it to maintain its vitality. You should aim to drink at least 5 to 8 glasses of water each day.
- Caffeine-free herbal teas can also help to hydrate the body. Try SimplyEnhance™ Fresh Sunrise, which offers many added nutrients including Ginkgo Biloba, Hibiscus and Vanilla.
4) Diet & Lifestyle
- The right nutrition is essential to provide your brain with the raw materials to build and repair itself. Boost your intake of fruit, fibre and vegetables to help reduce cholesterol levels. Eat cruciferous vegetables such as cabbages, broccoli and kale as studies have shown that two servings of these improve mental functioning.
- Stop smoking and reduce alcohol to 1-2 units a day. Drinking too much alcohol or smoking can damage the brain. Up to 80% of strokes are preventable; high blood pressure and cholesterol have both been linked with increased stroke risk.
5) Ginkgo Biloba & Fish Oils
- Take Ginkgo Biloba 10,000mg. Ginkgo Biloba has been linked to improving memory and circulation. It is recommended by a number of memory improvement programmes.
- In addition, essential fatty acids that are found in Cod Liver Oil and Omega 3 Fish Oils have been found to help improve mental function in both adults and children. Two thirds of the brain is made up of fatty acids.
There are many ways we can improve the condition of the brain, so don’t take it for granted. What tricks and techniques do you find help to keep your brain in shape?