By Simply Supplements
Sleep deprivation can have many causes, and is a frustrating (not to mention tiring) experience. Fortunately, there are home remedies and natural aids that may help to promote a good night’s sleep.
Sleep deprivation is a consistent failure to get enough sleep. Adults are recommended to get between seven and nine hours of sleep each night, but only 30% of UK adults get the required seven hours every night.
Getting a good night’s rest is important for restoring natural levels of energy for the next day. Not getting enough sleep can lead to health problems such as fatigue and stress, and is also thought to have a negative effect on the immune system.
Sleep problems have been linked to increased risks of heart disease and stroke, and a lack of sleep is also thought to make it more difficult to lose weight.
Sleep deprivation Some of the key causes of sleep deprivation are:
- Stress – Financial or work worries can cause stress, and this may keep you awake at night.
- Depression – Being depressed results in a low mood which can cause problems when trying to fall asleep.
- Anxiety – Anxiety can cause you to over-think things when in bed, meaning it is much more difficult to fall asleep.
- Arthritis – Pain caused by joint conditions such as arthritis can disrupt sleep.
- Menopause – Hot flushes and mood swings caused by the menopause can cause sleep problems in women.
Home remedies for sleep
- Make a diary – Writing down any instances of poor sleep can help to pinpoint the causes, and may enable you to take action to prevent these happening frequently.
- Diet – Avoid eating heavy foods before bed, as these can make it more difficult to fall asleep. A light, healthy snack can be digested much more easily, and is a better option before trying to sleep. Drinking coffee in the afternoon and evening should be avoided as it contains caffeine, and therefore may make it difficult to fall asleep.
- Relax – Although you may enjoy watching television before bed, this engages the mind and increases alertness, which can keep you awake. Try reading a book instead, as this will help you to unwind and calm the body.
- Take a bath – A warm bath in the evening can help to relax the muscles in the body, and promote a good night’s sleep. Try adding a few drops of lavender essential oil, as this holds relaxing properties.
Natural sleep aids
- Herbal tea – Instead of your usual evening cup of tea or coffee, why not try a herbal alternative that contains no caffeine? Simply Supplements Sleep Tight Tea offers a restful night’s sleep by combining the relaxing qualities of chamomile, ginger, and lavender.
- 5-HTP – 5-HTP is thought to aid the production of melatonin, which is required to establish and maintain a healthy sleep-wake cycle.
- Valerian – Simply Supplements Valerian Complex combines Valerian extract with the calming qualities of ginger and chamomile.